Friday, April 30, 2010

Completed Piano Box

So i finished the first Piano box (Well my part atleast, short of staining, and lining the inside)
Takes 2 bits (one for shaping, one for lettering). The detail on the letter came out perfectly. When stained, the lettering will appear darkers (Carvings do that)

I took pictures of the maching process. Enjoy

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Piano Box

I was asked to help make an award for a Piano Academy. We had bee talking slowly about ideas for about a week. Last night we made a decision on a design to prototype (Still needs approval from the Boss). The exact shape is still being decided, but the concept is the same. A box in the shape of a Piano.

The end should be a Piano shaped box crafted from 2 fitted pieces of wood. You can see here, the prototype (of the lid). The trick is to cut the wood in the right direction for the Grain, to make the cut work just right. This proto taught me lots of things i need to adjust here and there about the process. But i suspect it won't be much different that this when its completed. Tell me, Should the lid be hinged (and from the long side of course) like a regular piano, or do we let the outside be unblemished by hardware?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Trunk of the Tree

Stayed up till 3 last night putting this thing together. Learned a lot in the process, about what to and not to do with this design. Luckily i didn't break any parts, so its all come together nicely. Gonna make some adjustments for the other sections, but the R&D has paid off well.
Take a look

The result is pretty cool.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Bride is pleased with her list of Machned goods being nearly complete. With that in mind, she mentioned something the other evening that perked my inventive side.
So the next day i brought it back up
me:Hey babe, you said something about shelves for the books, shaped like a tree?
her: Yeah, ...
me: So [drawing a picture with my hands] like this?
her: No, more like this [See the pic below].

this is me pulling her hand drawing into vcarve, out as DXF to Sketchup, and a quick render.

Below is a close up of how i broken it into small parts that i can more easily nest (and reduce waste). The trick was to add a locking mechanism that have themeasurements my cutter (1/8") could get into completely. After a few tests, this one works just great.

This is how it will attach to the wall. The first layer will be fastened to the wall from the front side, but on the back side, there will be pocketed allthreads sticking thru ~9". So that when i get all the other layers on, youll fish them onto these bolts, one after the toher. When all but the last are on, you put on a nut, and clamp them tight. THEN, the last layer is pocketed on the backside like the first layer, but with a smooth outer finish. This will act as a end cap to hide the bolts. (The last layer will probably be two 3/4 pieces thick.

I have already cut the puzzle parts, but my camera is broken so i can't send you actual pics of the fit.

First step is to build the trunk, then one branch at a time after that.